Why must the release of a song, album or event poster be accompanied by artwork? The idea is to give the viewers of the artwork something to associate with the product. Here are some of the things not to do:-
1. Go Straight to the point: Don’t clutter your artwork with too much wording. Be simple and specific. Don’t write the whole story on the artwork.
2. Choose Good Pictures: The picture speaks a thousand words. Let the picture be representative of what you are trying to promote. Also, it is not obvious that you must use a picture. Sometimes the use of words with nice backgrounds can be nicely done to convey the message.
3. Colors: The word artwork has “Art” to it. Don’t splash too much coloring on the artwork. A good graphics designer must know this.
4. Don’t do it alone: First and foremost, there is a reason why there are graphics designers and creative people to look at the finished product. We know that you may easily access design software and learn how to maneuver but that doesn’t make you a graphics designer. If you insist on doing something for yourself, ask for an honest opinion from those who won’t deceive you. In Uganda for example, you can ask those artistes who have had good artworks to give you pointers.
5. For collaborations, please note that, sometimes it is only the picture of the main artiste (owner of the song) that will be used. If everyone’s picture is to be used, consider planning as a group and Dressing up for a photo shoot with a theme in mind to avoid cloth colour-clashing. If you each bring different pictures, ensure that the pictures are in sync and can work together.
Of course, we thought it obvious that every artiste must have a good eye for quality when it comes to graphics but this seems not to be obvious. Perhaps we will share some of our best artworks soon and you will tell the difference.
If you have a question concerning these artworks and or disagree, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you.
To be honest, sometimes we do not want to listen to music or attend an event purely because the graphics work associated with it is horrible, for lack of better words.
Here are some of the worst we have seen so far…